Connecting With the IRS on the 990 Process
How do you feel about the 990 process? Is there something that you wish would change? Do you have ideas or concerns you think the IRS should address? Now is your chance to be heard.
The IRS is requesting feedback concerning:
- “whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information shall have practical utility;”
- “the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the collection of information;”
- “ways to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected;”
- “ways to minimize the burden of the collection of information on respondents, including through the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology;” and
- “estimates of capital or start-up costs and costs of operation, maintenance, and purchase of services to provide information.”
This is an excellent opportunity to voice your opinions and concerns about the 990 process, or to simply inform the IRS how strenuous the process can be. The deadline for comments and responses is September 14th, 2015. The Council of Nonprofits provides an excellent source of information on this subject, including how to file, and a step by step guide for filing effective public comments.
Renata Massie, Content Creator for Jitasa